Tuesday, June 30, 2009

New Member

Karen recently became a new member to Ride the River Kern and I thought I would post her personal info because I think it is probably true for many of us:
As an endurance rider, trails preservation is very important to me. I regularly ride the trails from Coffee Road to Lake Ming, including the available trails in the foothills between Alfred Harrell Highway and Highway 178. I think it is of the utmost importance that equestrians share their needs with the community at large in an effort to prove that meeting our needs is for the betterment of our community.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am also a new member to Ride the River Kern...although I have been riding the river off and on for 40 years. I board at Rancho Notso Grande for the last year (love my new home!) and previously at Robertson's for 2 years...would like to comment on a couple of my concerns. I ride almost daily so am fortunate to see the changes along the banks of the river. However one feels about the beaver activity - they are a part of the natural environment that we all enjoy so much when we ride. In the interest of co-habitating with these wonderful creatures wouldn't it be great to protect the trunks of the equally wonderful sycamore trees that line the banks of our precious riding area. We all have our favorites, but the sycamores are at the top of the food chain in my book. Rather than fret after the fact when one is gnawed and felled by a beaver can we be proactive and organize a group to nip it in the bud? Anyone interested in this endeavour?

My other concern - hazards on the trail - whether they be pieces of wire or broken glass - what are the rules and regs concerning taking a non-motorized vehicle (golf cart) and picking up some of these hazards? Should signs be posted to warn riders that there is a vehicle on the trail, etc. etc. Input please...