Saturday, May 30, 2009

Bakersfield Life Magazine

I would like to thank Bakersfield Life Magazine for their article covering the River Trail issue, http://www.bakersfieldlife.com/ . Lisa Kimble, the writer, was gracious to come out to the river with a photographer and interview quite a few interested riders. Our purpose was to bring a cross section of riders to show that we are a diverse group, that we need the river to train and condition our horses for a myriad of uses, and that it is a non-renewable resource. I would like to thank all of the riders who joined us for this purpose: Wayne Ketcherside, representing the posse, Captain of Mounted Search and Rescue, and a roper, Anthony Mungary, representing the posse, Leeann Fleetwood, representing MSAR (and top contributor for 2008), performance horses and gymkhana, Claudia Payne with daughter Morgan, representing MSAR and gymkhana, Lynn Joiner, representing Backcountry Horsemen of California as state treasurer, Kern Sierra unit president and California Wilderness Rider of 2008, Patty Montoya, member of ETI, BCHC, and MSAR, not shown: Helen Ordway, president of ETI, Roberta Robertson, co-owner of Robertson's Stables on Roberts Lane, and Marian Vargas, member of ETI and interested trail riders all!!!!!
I'd like to thank Lisa, Bakersfield Life Magazine, and all of the riders for showing up to share their concerns. We need all of the exposure we can get.

I attended a recent County Parks meeting and again heard some very encouraging news, equestrians are on the plan...and although I am the eternal optimist, I am new to this struggle. Those who have been on the forefront, although they are not giving up, are frustrated and probably more realistic than I am.

I met Bill Cooper and just received this email from him,
The public land along the river is part of the expanding Kern River Parkway. The Kern River Parkway Committee was fighting for the equestrian trail 30 years ago and still is. Through the committee's efforts there is still river access.There are some things equestrians need to consider. Carving out new routes with chain saws and other equipment is illegal. Some areas are biologically sensitive. Riparian zones are fully protected by state law.If you would like to meet wih us just let us know. We've been at this for a very long time.

Bill Cooper,
Pres.Kern River Parkway Foundation
wtcooper47@AOL

Bill, Rich O'Neil, Marci Cunningham, Carolyn Belli, and W.C. "Billy" and Roberta Robertson are but a few of the county residents who have been working hard to preserve our rights to the river trails. If it weren't for these individuals, and many others (I'd like to have their names) we wouldn't have river trails to fight for!!!
I spent quite a while with Billy today and he gave me a lot of historical information. Unfortunately, I didn't record his comments or take notes (next time I will), but I'd like to note a couple at this time: Billy told me that he has seen records as early as 1936 showing the efforts of the Kern County Rangers and Rangerettes (the early posse?) attempting to preserve a trail along the river. He also said that around 1951, Lloyd Ming, (a county supervisor?) worked with Kern County Land Company, (later Tenneco West and now Castle and Cooke), to develop an extension of Alfred Harrell Highway all the way to Stockdale Hwy and a river parkway all along the route. Too bad this didn't happen. It amazed me to learn about these visionaries. It's easy to come along now when we can see our access being lost, but for individuals in the 30's and 50's to see the importance of preserving that which was essentially "no man's" land really impressed me. Get the word out, attend meetings, help existing groups with getting involved and supporting the work they have been doing for all of US!

1 comment:

Rich Oneil said...

Equestrians;
Hello. Allow me to introduce myself. (I have never blogged. so I hope this works). My name is Rich Oneil. I am a member of the Kern River Parkway Foundation and Committee. I have worked on the Kern River Parkway or aka, River corridor through Bakersfield since 1974. I have worked on (with many other people) the trail systems along the Kern River since then. That includes the Horse Trail, the Jogging Trail, and the Bike Path--seeking funding. purchase of property, signing, and preservation. --as well as Yokuts Park, Riverwalk Park, staging areas, etc.
I mention this little bit of local history so that I might encourage everyone to " work together ".
The River is used by many people and folks of many varied interests. If we can work together, we can continue to build, map, plan, fund, and preserve the equestrian trail from the mouth of the Kern Canyon to Lake Buena Vista.
For purposes of introduction, I count as my friends and co-workers on the River Plan, the following: Roberta and Billie Robertson, Marian Vargas, Carolyn Belli, Marci Cunningham, Donna Yowell..
I would like to share with you much more current and possibly (of which you might already know)news about the Horse trails along the River. I know that you have much information that also might be useful to the Kern River Parkway Foundation.
My phone number is 706-1096.
e-mail is richoneil99@hotmail.com
Sincerely, rich oneil