Monday, April 6, 2009

Hart Park











I really love the Hart Park ride. I t was designed right and has been pretty well maintained. The fencing is nice and sturdy, although it is falling down in some places and completely gone in other areas. (One of the photos shows a leaning fence and another shows a repaired fence, can you see the shiny, new bolts?) Notice also that the management has taken the trouble to mow about a 4-5 foot path along the fence which helps avoid stepping in hidden holes.

A couple of years ago there was a lot of damage to the river banks due to the high river flow. (one of the photos shows a hole extending in to the old trail, but the fence was removed to allow horses to move away from the hole.)

The photo with the fresh dirt shows that the county is taking care of the problems, this was a HUGE hole and has been filled in and the fence repaired.

I went down to take a picture of the bridge because I've always been impressed with the good construction. Sadly, when I went to take the picture it was blocked off and closed. I'm assuming that it is unsafe for some reason. However, I think this just backs up the argument that the Hart Park management is on the ball and is checking on the status of the bridge because my untrained eye couldn't see a problem. I hope it gets repaired soon, otherwise horses will have to go up on the main road and cross on a car bridge. The other thing I like about this bridge is that it is a good training tool for horses to walk on wood and deal with unfamiliar situations.
Koztarr has left a new comment on your post "Hart Park":
I have been told by a reliable source that the bridge is scheduled to be replaced when a large culvert pipe is installed to allow drainage under the existing bridge and the suface will then be a natural dirt surface. Ed. note: Thanks Koztarr for the update, this would make sense with the past experience I have had with the Hart Park management. Hart Park has always been a jewel of Kern County. It is well managed and well enforced by Park Rangers (as I well know when I have been politely asked to ride on the established trails when I have gotten off the trail a little...ooops!)

1 comment:

Koztarr said...

I have been told by a reliable source that the bridge is scheduled to be replaced when a large culvert pipe is installed to allow drainage under the existing bridge and the suface will then be a natural dirt surface.